- Shortness of breath and chest tightness alone will make patients. Feel that their breathing is not good enough, and in the case of nasal congestion included.
- It is totally a terrible match, and this state is not uncommon among patients with anxiety disorders. Almost every day, some patients would say to me. “I can’t breathe, and I’m about to die.”
- Over the past years, thousands of patients have complained to me with similar words. And some of them even once described it as exaggerated. As if they were about to die.
- Of course, I never doubt the authenticity of this “exaggeration”, on the contrary. It was real at that time. Especially when chest tightness, shortness of breath, inability to breathe.
- Difficulty in deep breathing, and nasal congestion occur at the same time. This “exaggerated” feeling is typically obvious.
- As mentioned earlier, chest tightness, shortness of breath. And difficulty in deep breathing will not make you really short of breath. And nasal congestion will not make you worse.
- It will only make you feel uncomfortable more. Either your nasal congestion is caused by autonomic nerve disorder. Or rhinitis, there is no big problem.
- More than half of the patients with “severe nasal congestion”. Failed to find any problems after going to the hospital for examination. Among them, a small number of patients were found to have “rhinitis”.
- Or “deviated nasal septum”. After taking drugs for rhinitis or even a surgery for deviated nasal septum. T
- Symptoms of nasal congestion may not be resolved completely. But anxiolytics could bring the immediate benefits. Doesn’t that explain the problem?
- Of course, I am definitely not suggesting that you should take anti-anxiety medication. In fact, more and more patients had reported.
- That when they were nervous and anxious, especially when they noticed the symptoms of nasal congestion.
- Congestion became more obvious. As the fear grew, the nasal congestion became worse. Instead, they might completely forgot about the nasal congestion during the time they were busy.
It seemed that a stuffy nose never existed. Nasal congestion caused by autonomic disorders will eventually disappear. With the recovery of anxiety disorders. I have witnessed too much of this.
Dry mouth, bitterness or bad breath
- It is no exaggeration to say that the symptoms of anxiety disorders accompany are bizarre. There is hardly any disease in the world. That can cause so many bizarre symptoms.
- Many patients once said to me: “Before I got anxiety disorder, I never had dry mouth, bitterness or bad breath. How should it happen after having anxiety disorder?
- Could it be a gastrointestinal problem? But I had conducted a checkup. And the doctor said there was no major problem.” In fact, the answer is yes, it is indeed related to gastrointestinal abnormalities.
- It is not the “major disease” as you have imagined or the “tumor cancer”. Which comes from Google, but the autonomic nerve disorder. Leads to an overreaction of the vagal nerve. Causing gastrointestinal disorders, slow peristalsis, weakening function.
In which the food stays in the stomach too long, further causing abnormal fermentation. In this case, how there can be no odor.
Mechanism of Vagal Nerve
- In the same way, the overreaction of the vagal nerve. Will result in a decrease in the secretion of salivary glands. And the decrease in saliva will inevitably lead to mouth and throat become dry.
- And will surely make oral residue sticky, causing bitterness and bad breath. But don’t worry, as I mentioned earlier, the power of autonomic disorder is limited.
- This level of weakened gastrointestinal function has almost negligible impact on the body. Except slightly slower digestion, dry mouth, bitterness, and bad breath.
- Whether it is a temporary weakening of gastrointestinal function. Or a decrease in the secretion of salivary glands. It will return to normal with the recovery of your anxiety disorders.
- Prior to that, brushing your teeth frequently, drinking plenty of water. And maintaining indoor humidity allow you to alleviate these symptoms.
- Beyond that, there is no need to do something too much. Remember: If you mind the strange eyes of others.
You can use mouthwash or chew gum to help you get through this awkward period.
Teeth clenching and grinding.
- Unconscious clenching or grinding teeth is a small symptom. I was not going to talk about it separately at first. But when I began the work of popularization of science on the Internet.
- And have been asked for how to solve this symptom more than once. Hence I decide to briefly explain it here. Because of frequent uncontrolled teeth clenching and grinding.
- Those patients may have suffered severe tooth abrasion, crumbling teeth. Or even temporal mandibular joint (TMJ) disorder.
- However, this is not the reason that they cannot bear. It is the worry and entanglement that make them really unbearable. They had always asked me: “I must have some deeply hidden disease.
- You see, my teeth are all worn out, and my jaw is cracking when I open my mouth.” Even some patients having mild symptoms with merely itchy teeth. Or occasional clenching of teeth can be wrapped in self-doubts.
- In fact, even if you go to the dental clinic or ENT department for examination. Doctor may tell you that your symptom is likely to be caused by mental factors. Or psychological factors.
- Tension and anxiety are the most common reasons for normal people to bite and grind their teeth. If you bite and grind your teeth too frequently. It will indeed lead to tooth abrasion.
- Crumbling teeth or even temporal mandibular joint. And in case of the symptom is severe, you can do some oral care or protective treatment. For a patient with anxiety disorders.
- It is nothing weird because their nerves have been already disordered and become sensitive. Thus causing teeth clenching and grinding more frequently and seriously than normal people.
- Similarly, if you can’t stand it, you can do oral care or protective treatment. While there is no way to “remove” the “problem” of clenching and grinding.
So you may allow it to exist temporarily. This state will also be greatly alleviated as your anxiety disorder fades away. The reason why I don’t refer to complete healing. Is because it is also common for normal people experiencing teeth clenching and grinding.
Discomfort in the chest area
- Most often people may wrongly believe that the discomfort in their chest areas is due to heart trouble.
While the real cause is intercostal neuralgia, of course, providing they have ruled out organic diseases. Intercostal neuralgia may appear alone or together with cardiac neurosis. And may be episodic or continuous.
- Reason why I single out intercostal neuralgia. Is that I don’t want everyone to relate such a mild symptom to “heart discomfort”.
- Because this will only increase everyone’s psychological burden.
- Firstly, intercostal neuralgia is the most typical and common anxiety symptom. Which is not difficult to understand as anxiety disorder itself includes neurosis.
- In addition to causing the discomfort in heart, intestines and stomach. And liver and lung accompanied by systemic nerve pain. And of which intercostal neuralgia represents the most common symptom.
- Pain generally occurs in the front wall of the chest, abdomen, sternum. Intercostal space, and left and right ribs or back ribs. The pain may occur separately or jointly.
- And it could happen with stabbing or burning sensation. Or may get worse when you cough, take a deep breath or sneeze.
- Biggest difference between intercostal neuralgia caused by anxiety disorders. And real intercostal neuralgia is the pain degree.
- Pain from real intercostal neuralgia could make the sufferer unbearable. While the intercostal neuralgia caused by anxiety disorders is mostly vague and tolerable.
- Like migratory pain in the whole body, it is just a slight anxiety symptom. And the difference is that it occurs around the heart. Making you hypochondriacal and fearful.
- As you have understood its essence and known that it is just a slight neurological symptom. And if you overcome the fear itself. It will no longer affect your work and life, and will not bring you any harm.
Furthermore, when you do it, you will find that the discomfort will gradually move away from you.
High or unstable blood pressure (1)
- “God! Look, my blood pressure is 100-150!” “I wish the doctor could see how high my blood pressure is now.” This is the common voice of all patients with “a fear of high blood pressure”.
- Too many patients with anxiety disorders may measure the blood pressure dozens or hundreds of times a day. Don’t assume that I am exaggerating this problem.
- Xiao Xue is such a patient. Her continuous blood pressure measurement practice. From morning to night had made her slightly numb fingers. Turn into unbearable numbness in her arms due to anxiety disorders.
- What’s more, such state caused her to become more frightened. And finally couldn’t help rushing to the hospital. However, the numbness in her arms disappeared before arriving at the hospital at that time.
- Reason was that there was no blood pressure meter. To continue to strangle her arm on the way to the hospital. It is conceivable how many times she had measured that day.
A year later, after having fully recovered from the symptoms. She will laugh every time as she talks about this experience.
- This phenomenon happens all the time, and according to the descriptions of many patients. It may not be as exaggerated as Xue’s state. But it is enough to demonstrate how terrible the “high blood pressure”.
- Is in the mind of patients with anxiety disorders. Actually, before high blood pressure makes you afraid worse. It is better to take a look at what high blood pressure is.
High or unstable blood pressure (2)
- Generally speaking, there are two types of high blood pressure or hypertension. One is primary hypertension and the other is secondary hypertension.
- In layman’s terms, primary hypertension refers to hypertension resulting from unknown causes. Without organic diseases, and secondary hypertension is caused by organic diseases.
- What most people fear is not primary hypertension. But secondary hypertension because secondary hypertension. Which proves the existence of organic diseases. Fortunately, secondary hypertension accounts for only 5% of all hypertensive patients.
- And among them, the elderly account for the vast majority. Therefore, for young and middle-aged people, this probability is very low. Especially for patients with anxiety disorders.
- Because most patients with anxiety disorders have gone to the hospital for various examinations. More than once, and the causes of organic diseases have long been ruled out.
- Probability of secondary hypertension represents the lowest of the lowest. It could be said that most of hypertensive patients with anxiety disorders are primary hypertension.
- Especially before having anxiety disorders. And in addition to this, none of you could “coincidentally”. Get hypertension while or after having anxiety disorders.
- At this point, if I tell you it is just a coincidence. I am afraid even you won’t believe it yourself. It can be seen that there is a high probability. That your primary hypertension is caused by anxiety disorders.
Among many patients, this state is not rare as some are episodic, and others are continuous. But no matter in any case, after the recovery from anxiety disorders. Blood pressure of most patients could return to normal.